Friday, April 11, 2008

great news...as good as it gets!

I had a good visit today with Dr. Hill, followed by infusions of magnesium and Iv/Ig (a protein that all transplant patients need every 2 weeks for a while after transplant).
The highlight of the day actually came right after we got back home - there was a message to call in, as they had the results of my bone marrow biopsy. First, there were no signs of cancer in the marrow, which we didn’t expect but is good, nonetheless. Secondly, the results of my chimerism studies came back this afternoon, and show that I am already 95% engrafted, which is pretty high for only 30 days out. Usually you work up to 90-95% within the first 100 days. What this means is that my blood and marrow are already showing up as 95% “donor” (new me) and only 5% “old me”. They consider anything above 90% fully engrafted, so there really isn’t room for improvement, but they will monitor every 30 days to make sure the graft remains.
My kidney numbers are still a bit out of whack, but after consulting with the kidney doc, Dr. Hill has decided to chalk it up to some of the meds I am on, which we can't exactly stop or back off, and so we're just going to watch the numbers carefully to make sure they don't go any higher. My kidneys are just "off" enough that my creatinine is high, magnesium & sodium are low, and potassium is high, though none of them are in the danger level. They told me today that I will need to plan to get weekly infusions to treat these deficiencies, which will just make the days I have dr. visits about an hour or two longer.
More good news - they have decided I can now go to once a week visits, so the only day I have to trek up to the hospital next week will be Wed. Starting the following week, we are going to try to have our weekly visits on Friday, as it seems to be a quieter day up there, and Dr. Hill is seeing patients almost all day.
So, praise God with us that all signs of the cancer are gone (results of my last chest CT scan were also clear of any sign of cancer, and that's the last place we saw it), I am already fully engrafted, and am stepping down to weekly visits. All are definite signs of progress! Continue to pray for my strength, energy, & stamina to return, and thanks for checking in.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Praise God! We are so happy for you and your family. We will pray for continued healing.

In Christ,
Hale and Jenn Morris

Dwight Dean said...

Jon and Lisa,
We praise the LORD with you as you experience His awesome provision. Our God is an awesome God!
Blessings,
Dwight

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to read that! I've been following your blog, and this is great news! I will continue to pray that your health keeps improving.

Shannon

brianwhitson said...

James 5:16b (NIV) "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." We have asked Him to heal you and that God gets the glory and that is exactly what has happened. God Bles you and your family.