Thursday, February 28, 2008

The yuck has arrived

I made it through the snow both Tue. and Wed., and got treatments both days, as well as a nebulizer treatment of pantamidine, which should prevent PCP pneumonia, a common opportunistic infection that affects those with weakened immune systems. The pantamidine is being given because I can't take the Bactrim pills that are usually used, as they would cause my blood counts to drop too much. The pantamidine was difficult, and caused me to choke so much I felt like I was going to throw up, so I took some Ativan in the middle of the treatment, and that helped get me through it. The tech administering the treatments told me to use my inhaler next time before the pantamidine, and to rest every few minutes so I don't get a coughing fit so bad that I throw up.
I am enjoying my "day off" about as much as I can, given that I am a little nauseous from all the treatments and then all the drugs I have to take in addition to the treatments. The only task for today is to pack up for the hospital, but given that Lisa will be driving back and forth most days and my parents will be in their RV out in the hospital parking lot, it won't be a big deal for them to bring in more clothes for me and such.
Well, I'm going to go take a nap - the morning meds are making me really drowsy. Hopefully, I can sleep off some of the nausea before dinner - a sort of "last supper" before checking in at "Hotel Hitchcock" that I hope will taste good. Next time I post, I'll probably be doing so from the hospital. Talk to you next "from the other side"!

2 comments:

brianwhitson said...

God Bless ya brother! I'll be praying for you and your family

murphys mom said...

"Lord, be closer to Jon today than any breathing treatment or medication. May you give him rest and peace as he relaxes today to prepare for the hospital. Keep the nausea at bay Lord,so Jon can enjoy dinner. Stengthen him for this upcoming treatment and we will give YOU all the glory! Amen."

Jon,we are not there physically, but we are praying for you all the time.Praise the Lord,The Battle Belongs to the Lord! Hugs to Lisa & kids and your Mom & Dad.

Love,
Aunt Marlene & Uncle Paul