Friday, February 22, 2008

All set

In the midst of another snowstorm, we made it up and back to Dartmouth today, and everything is set for me to begin the chemo part of my transplant on Monday. Final results of my most recent PET scan were conclusively and finally completely clean, so I now have the best chance possible of having a "successful" transplant, with no future recurrence of the lymphoma.
When I got to the hospital today, I had to do another pulmonary function test, and another chest X ray. While the chest X ray results weren't available before I came home, I did learn that I have gained almost 10% lung function since my last PFT on Tue. Feb. 12, so things are headed in the right direction. I also realized why it seems like I am always out of breath - even with the recent gains, I am still only functioning at about 36% of what a normal guy my age should be, compared to 56% prior to the lung surgery. Blood numbers were run again, another physical exam, and then the review of the transplant procedure and signing of the consent forms.
So, now we kick back, enjoy the weekend, and prepare for the "chemo grind" next week. Actually, the treatments will only be 30-45 minutes each day, so I'll be here in Claremont more than I'll be at the hospital, at least until Friday. On Monday, I return to the hospital at 9am to get my central line placed, after which I'll receive my chemo through it. I will also start some of my immune suppressing drugs on Monday (other won't be started until Wed.), and when the chemo treatment is done, I'll head back to Claremont for the night, returning Tue. & Wed. for repeat chemo treatments. On Thu., I get the "day off" and will stay put in Claremont, and then next Fri. Feb. 29, I will show up in the morning for a very low (lower than usual) dose treatment of Total Body Irradiation (TBI), and will then be admitted mid-day before getting my donor's cells infused sometime in the afternoon. Then, the wait for engraftment begins.
So, that's where things are at tonight. I'll update again early next week after chemo starts. For now, keep praying for smooth sailing!

No comments: