Friday, January 2, 2009

better today!

After getting a much needed night of sleep (as much as you can get in a hospital!), I am feeling better today and have had no fever since yesterday morning. The docs determined today that I have human metapneumovirus, which is in the same family as RSV, and can cause bronchitis and/or pneumonia. There is now disagreement as to whether I actually have (or had?) pneumonia, but with my sinus symptoms and the cough, they needed to check things out. My reading on this particular virus says that almost all infants have it at some point, most without symptoms, and others with cold or flu-like symptoms, and their body fights it off naturally. Not so for me, who is still building a functioning immune system. Well, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day, either, and the docs have told me it would be at least a full year before I had even a minimally functioning immune system. So, we will pray for no fever tonight, and then they should let me out of "Hotel Hitchcock" tomorrow - on Lisa's birthday. They have already asked us, if I am released tomorrow to stay in Claremont until Monday to make sure nothing else pops up. I'll gladly do it if it means being out of here!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

So glad you'll be with Lisa for her birthday - well, be with her outside of the hospital!